Saturday, September 24, 2011

martin

the march on washington with martin luther king
I was there
thanks parents for taking me
I will never forget that day


martin

martin
I remember his words
that I shivered on a hot day
knowing
the truth that went far past that day  of people as far as I could see
all looking for a healing
a mending of that tear
so we could pick up our heads
and learn to be together

I was there
I heard him                             Isaiah 58

the voices of the slaves
cried out to be heard
bleeding and lonely
children torn from their mothers
fathers   sisters   brothers
made nothing and nameless
lost from their birthdays
their grandmamas
the stories
their honor
their gifts
                       so we honor them now
in our memories
and seek to mend the tears in the whole cloth
of this nation


mlk day 1997
sara crystal
for mindy



copyright 2011 sara crystal all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment