Friday, September 23, 2011

aunt someone's stars

These little star patches were never finished, bought at a quilt show, probably Houston 2001, made in the 1930s, I have done a few of these finish vintage patchworks, I was thinking of the hale 9-patch when I wrote this first one.

aunt someone's stars
oh my
I can almost hear you say
as I sew your little starry
indigo
nine patches
together at last
on my newfangled $2000 Bernina
sewing machine
120 years or so
I honor your spirit
someone's great great
grandma
adopt me, will you,
there in heaven watching?
10/98

it's finally finished
departed sister fellow saint
your spirit lives in your patches
you made 5
and I used one to
patch the others

    strong threads endure a hundred years
    strong hearts endure a hundred blows
just walk in patience
and use good thread
make small stitches
remember us
and we will touch you
teach you
know us
through our quilts honor us
we had names
we gave you life
our bodies are dust
but our hearts
and our stitches
live

1996 scrystal

blessings of another time
learning to walk in simplicity
like simple stars made from
old aprons
and husband shirts
I let your truth guide me
in simple steps
simple paths
straight ahead
with joy
peace comes from our father
He's given me
just enough
for today
scraps can be enough
sometimes
my roses love the rainy days
5/9/94

starry border

there's one blessing for the beginning
and another glory for the middle
and a deeper glory for the end
and I will do my work
from deeper inside
so relax and rejoice
for all my work is sure
and all my plans are perfect

all writings copyright scrystal 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment