Saturday, September 24, 2011

aunt esther's quilt ( old quilt lll)

aunt esther's quilt

I am remaking the quilt
someone who came before me
great aunt esther's quilt
medallion star
N.Y. beauty
someone's best quilt
now it is faded and torn
but I feel your presence
and your blessing
as I go forth
each day in life
1840 to 1998
I honor your stitches
there are blood stains
did they come
from the Civil War?
were you a slave?
a mother?
was the quilt stolen
from the South?
abolitionist?
or did it keep someone's son warm
on the battleground?
another time
another place
calling me
make me again
so others can see
the joy and sweetness
of our time

I will make it again
and put it in the quilt show
to honor you
now
10/98




I have a box of fabrics saved and have started the 2nd version of this quilt resurrected. The original is huge and a very difficult version of Mariner's Compass and N.Y. beauty, with exceptional vegie dyes. I have seen some of the same fabrics in several quilts of the 1840s era. It was found at a yard sale and I believe it may have been used for car work( shudder). It lives in my closet until it goes to the next generation's keeper. I hope to take some new photos of it for you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment