Thursday, September 29, 2011

landscape of grief, quilt for my father


   I made this quilt as a mourning quilt when my father Daniel Crystal died. I had to take a ride on the grief train, whether I wanted to or not. I made it from regular fabrics, photo transfers, and pieces from his flannel shirts. Later I made a couple scarves from his suit. I put in animal totems ( wolf, bear, eagle, owl) and images that made me think of him.The photo transfers include the earliest Crystal family portrait, where he is a determined looking 12 year old, and a photo I took of him sitting on a boat on the beach in Humboldt County on a visit. in Jewish tradition, you tear your garments. I tore strips of his clothing and made a fringe.In the ninepatches, I included some words about him: activist, photographer, lawyer and teacher, father and friend, humanist and mentor, anti-fascist and gadfly, a loving and generous man, survivor, collector and magpie,gardener and nature lover, writer, scholar, fighter for social justice. made 2001 and exhibited at one of his 3 memorial services. Daniel Crystal November 16 1913-May 9, 2001,
for pics see the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment