Monday, September 19, 2011

the craftsman's creed

I saved this for about 40 years because I loved it.I have had it since I was a weaver and country girl with long braids and glasses.The author is anonymous.

 THE CRAFTSMAN'S CREED

    I hold with none who think not work a boon
Vouchsafed to man that he may aid his Kind
With offerings from his chisel, wheel, or loom,
Fashioned with loving heart and loving mind.
All of the fine traditions and the skill
Come from my elders through the long line down
Are mine to use to raise our crafts' renown
And mine to teach again with reverent will:
Thus do I live to serve, though least for pay-
With fingers which are masters of the tool
And eyes which light to see the pattern's play-
As it unfolds obedient to each rule of our dear Art.
So all my craft is praise to God- at once part
           homage and part song
My work's my prayer, I sing the whole day long
As Faith and Beauty shape the forms I raise.

pub by Osma Gallinger Todd studio ( I think she may have been one of the children of Frank Baum of Oz fame).
love, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment