Saturday, August 20, 2011

revels with matisse quilt


    Hi all. For some weird reason known only to the god of computer strangenesses, I keep losing the original jpg of this quilt. It is "Revels with Matisse", made for my great aunt Hope Hale Davis on her 100th birthday. Matisse is my favorite artist and never fails to cast me in a state of wonder. Go go go to the Gertrude Stein exhibit in SF if you can, less than one month left. Take me with you. It's a date.
  Anyhow I searched thru many boxes of prints and many jpgs, finally found it again last Wed, and it has disappeared again! The original went to Hope, and then to my cousin Lydia when Hope left the planet. So here is a temporary view, borrowed from my genealogy website at Tribalpages. on that site is my family research, up to abt 2yr ago. It was also based on Hope's extensive research on the Hale and MacFarland clans. If you want the code to check out that site, let me know. I hope I can find that jpg or rephotograph the quilt by the time my portfolio is due. It is about 50x70 inches.
           love sara


    Well, I tried to upload it but it wouldnt go!  Try again later, this is just too frustrating.

1 comment:

  1. the quilt has just returned to oakland. thank you lydia. I will be redoing the photos and posting. also I hope to redo some other photos of various quilts.
    hope hale davis was my great aunt and sister of my grandfather. she was a "posthumous" child, born after the death of her father. her mother was left with 10 children to care for in a time when women had few opportunities. my grandfather mac went off to work on a farm aged 10.
    hope wrote memoirs of her time growing up in the family and stepping out on her own....she worked as a professor right up till the time of her death age almost 101. she was salty and crusty and real and a hell of a woman.
    when she died, steve crystal said, "hope died? that's so unlike her."
    love sara

    ReplyDelete