Monday, August 22, 2011

pioneer history version 1


  I am working on a family treasure. My great great aunt recorded some of John Hale's stories of his life in the 19th century as a pioneer. I have encountered a few jinxes but hope to complete it soon. He was born in 1825 and it goes 8 generations to the youngest directly in his line.

     a sample:
    "We had scarcely commenced eating when I saw fire dropping down the chimney into the fireplace. I rushed around the table and, looking up, saw what seemed to me to be the whole top of the chimney in a blaze. I, of course, called out at once and ran for the door around the end of the house, and climbing up the end of the house, threw myself between the roof and the chimney, and bracing myself against the chimney, threw it over so that the whole chimney stack fell into the snow and away from the house.  My father and grandfather followed me as rapidly as possible, and all hands commenced tearing away what little was left at the bottom of the timbers down the back of the wall to the building. About that time, something like a minute and a half after we left the table, we became aware that a blizzard was coming down from the north."

  Interested? Yeah... he is a powerful and longwinded writer, oh those run-on sentences I still try to use! It's about 15 pages long, will share as soon as I work out the computer bugs. Right now it is printing only in the smallest type you ever saw. Hopefully scott can help.
   Yes, we did fix it and it is available in a digital format along with photos of John Hale and his family. Just ask.
 love Sara and the fur gang

1 comment:

  1. the finished version is ready to share. its about 10 pp long. if you would like to read it send me yer email. he talks about the underground railroad and his father's memories of the war of 1812. there's a picture of him somewhere I hope to get, possibly from my cousin lydia davis. love sara

    ReplyDelete