Sunday, December 4, 2011

fruit of the spirit quilt 1

 
  I have had an idea for a couple years to make a quilt for the Lord's Land (Sabine's land), as a thank you and a fundraiser. I was hoping people would share some of their favorite verses with me/us. I would like you to tell us how the verse has helped you and worked in your life.
So I chose fruit of the spirit ( Galatians 5:22), with memories of how it spoke to me in the days I chose my new path. I have been collecting fabrics with fruit and garden themes and started to make a couple log cabin blocks. Some of the fabrics are left over from the Pete Seeger quilt, Wimoweh, and my mother's Kitchen Goddess quilt.
The folks at The Land would like to have some nice wall hangings for the new Ballroom. There are 10 window spaces to fill.

  It is ok if you want to contribute another little hanging or a different quilt pattern. We can use it as long as it is nice! I reserve the right to edit and adapt for quality.

  We hope to have a couple teaching sessions, one here in Oakland and one at the Lord's Land. Beginners are welcome. We will teach you. If you want to bring fabric, that is fine, 100% quilt weight cotton, prewashed. The dates will be set later.

This is a great opportunity to have fun, be at The Land, help The Land, and learn basic quilting, or share your abilities. This is a unisex project, men and boys can quilt too.  We also will need cooks, ironers, musical accompaniment, spare sewing machines,irons, and tables.

  The basic pattern will make a block 15.5 inches in size, prior to sewing. Remember that the seams will make the block 15 inches finished.  I cut 6.5 inch square centers, using interesting motifs or favorite verses, and strips 2 inches wide.   The blocks will combine quickly to make a good sized quilt or a few as a wall hanging.
  Cant wait to do this. I am doing the teaching as a requirement for my arts doctorate from the University of Orange. More photos are to follow to inspire you.  If you would like to make some blocks ahead and bring them that would be lovely.  The folks at The Land would also like to make some valances for the Ballroom sometime.  Here's your chance to blessTthe Land even if you aren't a carpenter, plumber, gardener, electrician....

  Love you all. Sara


          For questions, email me at  scrapbasket@earthlink.net or on my facebook page.

5 comments:

  1. my co-teacher will be carol whitehead rn.all are welcome regardless of skill level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Lord's Land is YWAM Mendocino Coast

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARCH 3, 4 . SO FAR WE HAVE 5 PEOPLE. LOVE SARA

    ReplyDelete
  4. due to maggie's passing the workshop in albion is postponed. it will occur in fairfield at joanne's house, thanks joanne.

    ReplyDelete