Tuesday, December 6, 2011

abolitionist penny


  Maggie Thompson gave this to me a long time ago. I wirewrapped it with silver and wore it happily. She was aghast when she saw my piece so I had to do it over. Here is the new pendant created by me and Judith of Mendocino Gems. I still wear it happily.

  Abolitionist pennies were created in the 1830s to raise money to fight slavery and to raise awareness. One of my ancestors was part of the Underground Railroad. Sadly, slavery still exists in many forms worldwide and even here.
  There were 2 coins produced, " am I not a man and a brother", and "am I not a woman and a sister". Mine is the woman coin dated 1838. You can buy reproductions but there are not many originals on the market. I think people keep them.




  Thank you Maggie, I love my abolitionist penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment