Sunday, November 27, 2011

slavery poems continuing, what I wear now

what I wear now

I wore amber and silver
red and gold cloths
my mother made
I was a beautiful bride
stood up tall
 and my breasts were high
and there was love in my eyes
for you
and all the people
in my village
were happy for us
now it is homespun
coarse and rough
I wove it on the loom
in the weaving house behind
it scratches
and there are no beads
on my neck
no rings
my braids are plain
and I wash
but not in the river
these fish do not have names
the name they call me
is not my name
not the name he spoke in love
when we joined together
and the hands in the night
are not the hands of love
but I live
and sometimes
I stand up all the way
remembering
my life before
I am still me
though they do not know
who I am
and my good secrets
carry me
in this day
in this place
where I live now

No comments:

Post a Comment