Sunday, November 27, 2011

cont series, keeping quiet, other side of cotton

keeping quiet

I just look
at the people
I dont say too much
one time I spit in the drink
and they don't know
she give me
her old dresses
say I sew real nice
and I should stay up there
at the big house
take care her hair
and pretty things
life be easy
up there
no honey it aint never easy
for us



flowertree quilt

I am sewing on
the mistress' quilt
little tiny stitches
all the way round
every flower
it be beautiful
she gonna put it on her bed
where her and master sleep
slow sew
long time to finish
I hope she get some
children
under there
I know she want them
she waiting a long time
still bleeding every month
light skinned children
there in the yard
she see some of them
is not dark enough
he show in them
I hope he get some
on her
not on me
she be happy
me too
maybe he leave me alone
maybe she singing
like that time
it almost happen
that be good
she treat me alright
for a master's wife
I think she miss
her family
her momma send her
this pretty flower stuff
get it from India
it far away
like Africa
I get some little pieces too
for my quilt
go on my bed
and some too
from my momma dress
before she die
she give me a lot of pieces
sometimes I sew for me
little bit here
little bit there
before I fall asleep
when it quiet
and I alone
it good to be
a sewing woman
inside and dry and warm
and my hands dont bleed
like the others
other side of cotton
I guess

No comments:

Post a Comment