Sunday, November 27, 2011

slavery poems 3, talking at night

talking at night

scribbling in red in
my books
all night long
words come
not from my life
they are talking
through me
the slaves had to talk
and I guess that
I was the one
listening and waiting
to write it down
and sew it together
and say it out
I'm grateful
they chose me
white girl yeah
but I'm listening
and writing down
and learning.
"Thank you all for coming."
I'm sorry I couldn't help
I wasn't born yet
but here I am now.
Please don't stop talking to me.
I don't want to miss out on this,
but I would like to sleep now.
Thank you.
It makes my stuff
not seem so bad.
It makes me sad
my daughter was gone away
and I let her be taken,
my gift from God.
But I'm here now
and she's alive
and I can get better.




dry

they cut off part to his
 leg
for running
and they cut off part of me
too
inside
when they did
cant feel any feelings
anymore
better that way
dont you think
aint enough tears anyway
to cry for
what they did to us here
better to just go on
and work
hollow and dry
juice of life
squeezed and gone
I aint never gonna see
that home
no more
so I stay dry
just a dry leaf
blow on the wind
that's me
I go to work
I go to sleep
no hot
no wet
all dry now
all dry now
dried up
no time left to cry
no time left to dream
not just leaf though
I a seed
big hard shell
still good inside
could grow
maybe
no water here
this place
seed stay in there
sleep

for

No comments:

Post a Comment